Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Tales of Brace-wearing (Part 2)

Remember the man working in a corporate office from "Tales of Brace-wearing (Part 1)"? 

We rejoin him as he visits an elderly lady and her adult son at a business meeting. 

The man knocks on the door and is greeted by the son, “Welcome, glad you could come out to us rather than us going to your office today.”

“My pleasure,” says the man.

“May I take your coat?” asks the adult son.

“Sure,” replies the man.

“I can also take your suit jacket, if you’d like - my mother likes to keep the temperature toasty in here,” says the son.

“Sure,” replies the man as his mother walks up.

“Welcome to my home,” says the elderly lady smiling. “Thank you for coming to me. I must say, you are well dressed in your high-rise pants and braces. I haven’t seen those in years! That is so lovely.”

“Thank you, I find them very comfortable and love the nostalgia of braces,” says the man.

 “As do I,” says the lady. “I grew up when all boys and men wore braces with their pants. Nobody thought twice about it; braces were commonplace.”

Errol Flynn wearing braces

“I’d love to have grown up in that era,” says the man.

 “Well, here we are. At least you can wear clothing from that era. I see you are wearing braces with buttons, not clips,” said the lady. “That’s the correct way to wear braces. How did you find pants with brace buttons? Do they still make them?”

“Oh I didn’t,” replied the man. “I found these pants at a thrift store and sewed the buttons on.”

“I see”, says the lady, “and you know something about button placement - above the main pleat and on the side. You’ve done your research. I used to be a seamstress back in my day. Can I see the rear of the pants?”

The man turns around to reveal his back side.


“Beautiful,” says the lady. “I see the rear buttons are attached on the outside of the waistband, but the front ones are on the inside. Why the difference?”

“Two reasons,” replies the man. “First, I like the look of the brace tabs overlaying the buttons, on top of the waistband. As you commented, its a beautiful look! Secondly a practical reason: when buttons were sewn into the inside, the waistband had multiple layers and the pull of the button would cause the waistband to separate internally. So I decided to sew them on the outside to keep the brace tab flush with the waistband.”

“Yes, the rollover effect,” says the lady. “That’s why I would sew all the buttons on the outside of the waistband.”

“Oh yes, I forgot you were a seamstress,” says the man.

“Yes, I’ve sewn my fair share of brace buttons in my day,” says the lady. 

“I’m so glad some young people these days are getting back to the classics of style. Some people call it vintage, but that’s what I grew up with and familiar with. You look so dashing in your braces – keep wearing them!”

“Thank you, I will!” says the man.

The lady continued, “some people think braces should not be shown in public. I don’t know where that came from because back in my day braces were worn and shown. It was commonplace to see men in dress shirts and braces without a jacket or waistcoat, especially in  hot, summer months. Men had a jacket for meetings, for instance, but took it off around the office or at home.”

“That’s interesting to hear,” said the man. “I’ve heard conflicting advice that braces should not be seen, but then why have interesting designs and patterns on the braces? It’s comforting to hear it from you.” 

“You’re welcome,” replied the lady. “Don’t think twice about wearing braces in public – more young people should. I enjoy the different styles and patterns of braces like you said,” says the lady.

“Thanks,” says the man.

“We could probably continue talking about style and braces all day, let’s move on to why you came today,” says the lady.

“Absolutely,” says the man, as he smiles and strides across the room in his high-waist pants and braces.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Everything About Braces. To maintain a civilized discussion forum, moderators may decide to remove messages at their sole discretion if considered to be offensive.
Join our social media community on Pinterest at http://pinterest.com/backtobraces/ and Instagram at https://instagram.com/backtobraces/