Friday, May 21, 2021

Braces in the Summer

With summer around the corner, comes warm weather and a challenge to stay cool. You want your clothes to be airy and breathable: this is not the time for skin-tight pants! Even if your pants are roomy, the problem can be at the waist – when you tighten a belt. This is exactly where braces are perfect for achieving summer coolness – in both senses of the word! 

When pants are loose at the waistline and pant legs it allows air to flow and circulate hotter air up and cooler air in. In order to maintain the pants at your desired height, braces should be used. With looser pants, the pants should actually be suspend by braces. That is, the pants would simply fall down when braces are not worn as well.

Stripped navy braces with dress pants for a more casual look


In addition, while you may want to wear t-shirt and shorts all the time, this may not be appropriate for all occasions. Take a wedding, for example. It’s generally not appropriate to wear shorts (although there are some exceptions), so a man must wear pants. However, he can be stylish and functional by wearing looser fitting, high-waisted, vintage pants supported by braces. Braces add a formal touch to your outfit and allow you to express your personality.


Or take an example from the corporate environment. It is generally not appropriate to wear shorts to the office, so pants are a necessity for men or women. Here again, you can be stylish and functional by wearing looser fitting, high-waisted, vintage pants supported by braces. Braces add a sophisticated touch and express your personality. This style looks great on both men and women.

High-rise checkered pants with braces

High-rise pants with braces by Staud Clothing - perfect for the office

From personal experience, I can attest to the fact that pants with air flow are superior to tighter pants on hot summer days. This can only be achieved with the help of braces. It’s a win-win - braces complement the outfit and provide air to move - style and function at the same time! 

In addition, people recognize the effort I’ve put in to my personal, vintage style. They comment that the high-waisted pants coordinate well with the braces. Or they reminisce about growing up with a similar style.

On a Spring day this week I wore a blue dress shirt with beige pants for a business meeting. The pants are roomier at the waist, which helped keep me cool.

My beige pants with burgundy braces

The meeting went well and I was very comfortable, all the while displaying my burgundy braces. I said goodbye and left the meeting. As I was leaving the coffee shop, I walked past a young lady who interrupted me to say, "Nice suspenders!" nodding her head in approval. I smiled and thanked her. It's so nice to receive compliments on my braces and style. I will be wearing this style again.

On another occasion, I wore a pair of brown, high-waisted pants with braces. I chose a thin pair of Y-back, blue braces with inverse V-tabs. My pants are light-weight and floated as the braces are also very light. I think this is why men historically wore thinner, light-weight braces in the summer. While thicker braces straps may be more secure, I don't always need them when the pants are light-weight and I want air movement.


Are you heading to a wedding or the corporate function this summer? Wear braces for comfort and style. I’d love to hear your experience and what people’s comments are on your style.

3 comments:

  1. Ive always been a little jealous of women because they have such a wider selection of clothes than men do. I imagine that's a two edged sword for women, I know my wife spends a lot more time thinking about what she's going to wear in the morning (usually starts the night before) than I do. One of the other reasons I like suspenders is because they give me another dimension of clothing to chose from in the morning. I have my regulars, that pair of suspenders with that shirt, those braces with that tie etc. Every once in a while Ill try try a different permutation of clothes and suspenders add another dimension. Mostly no one notices, but occasionally I hit a home run (score a goal for you non-Americans) and Ill get a compliment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, men's clothing selection is more narrow. But braces are one area we can show our personality! I have my regulars as well, but also change it up like you.

      Delete
  2. Staying cool in summer is a must.And braces still have an essential role to play.Walk shorts with braces are a staple-a bit 80s I know but comfortable and practical.Worn with long walk socks and black lace up shoes I am reminded of my teenage years.For a more casual setting I would go with brown sandals.And they frequently draw comments from people who themselves wore the same attire.And for occasions where pants are required,braces are still an essential part of the outfit.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Everything About Braces. To maintain a civilized discussion forum, moderators may decide to remove messages at their sole discretion if considered to be offensive.
Join our social media community on Pinterest at http://pinterest.com/backtobraces/ and Instagram at https://instagram.com/backtobraces/