Thursday, June 27, 2019

Tales of a Brace-wearer (Part I)

A man was in his first week at a new corporate office. The corporate dress code was primarily suits but also blazers and dress pants.
One day the man was stopped by a couple of female colleagues. “Can we ask you a question?” one asked, “We’ve been talking about your style; your suits look so well put together.”
“Thank you,” said the man.
The lady continued, “Your clothes fit well, and you look comfortable in them: your shirt stays tucked in, your pants don’t drag on the ground, your pants stay at your waistline, you’re not constantly adjusting your pants like other guys around here. Your pants stay in place, but I don’t see you wearing a belt. If you don’t wear a belt, then you must be wearing … suspenders?”
Box-cloth braces
With a smile, the man flipped open his jacket to reveal a pair of royal blue braces.
“I knew it had to be suspenders!” exclaimed the second lady.
“Yes, these are the answer to why everything fits together. They are very comfortable and practical, and I don’t need to be concerned about my pants all day,” said the man.
 “What kind of suspenders are those? I have not seen suspenders with leather attachments at the waist before. How do they attach to the pants?”
“There are small buttons sewn onto the waistband of my pants. The straps are connected by these brace tabs that are either in an inverted-V or inverted-U – these are inverted-U. When suspenders attach to the pants with buttons they are generally called ‘braces’, and when they attach with alligator clips they are called ‘suspenders’. Some pants have the buttons on the outside of the waistband, some on the inside, depending on your preference.”
“I see,” said the second lady. “That’s so classy. I love the look. Buttons are more sophisticated than clips.”
“I prefer the buttons over the clips as well. In addition to being classy, when you have buttons there are more anchor points to keep my pants aligned all day long, regardless of my movements. But there’s more to it than just brace tabs attached to buttons. The buttons are positioned in specific locations along the waistline to anchor the pants, both at the front and back.” The man motioned with his hand, “let me explain: see how the buttons are aligned directly with the pleats, and on the side of the pants with the pockets?”
“Yes” agreed the women.
“The brace buttons secure the pants at the right locations – at the pleat line, to keep the line perfectly straight, and at the pockets. Think of it as an anchor here at the pleat line,” pointing to the location, “and an anchor here at the pockets. A single anchor - whether attached by a single brace tab or alligator clip - would be insufficient, regardless of where it is placed. That’s why clips simply don’t provide the same level of comfort and support for pants.”
“Now that you mention it, that makes sense. I’ve never thought about that. It’s no surprise that you look so put together – the pleats are kept straight with the brace buttons anchoring them at just the right places on the waistline,” said the first women.
 “Exactly; and the other side of the brace tabs anchor the side of the pants,” motioned the man.
“Yes, I can see how it works now,” said the lady. “How about on the back of the pants? How do the buttons anchor the pants?”
The man removed his jacket to show the rear, fish-tail back detailing.
The women breathed in, “Oh wow, these pants are designed for braces!”
“Exactly, the fabric over each leg comes to a climax at the anchoring brace buttons, which are held in line with the brace loop, which in turn is held perfectly in line with the rear brace strap. It all aligns perfectly to give a clean look at the back,” stated the man.
“Yes, I can see why your pants look so coordinated and fit so well,” said the women. “The pants are held up at all the right points to keep the pleats and pocket aligned, and at the rear over each leg.”
“That’s fantastic,” said the other lady. “The design of the pants fabric to come up to meet the braces is truly unique. It completes the look of the braces. I have never seen this before. It’s so stunning and sophisticated!”
“Thank you,” beamed the man.
 
“You don’t find pants like that off the rack in stores.”
“Agreed,” said the man.
“So where did you get them?”
“This pair I had custom-made. It’s called a ‘fish tail back’,” said the man.
“Going back to how braces attach to the pants – with buttons…” said the women.
“Yes, the buttons allow you to exchange one pair of braces with another for different looks. Sewing on buttons is an easy skill to learn,” said the man. “And it would be helpful to know, as buttons can sometimes pop off.”
The women smiled, “Ah yes, now that you mention it, I recall a black and white photo of working men with the brace tabs on one side connecting to only one point on the waistline, a button must have come off. Is that common?”
“It’s very rare for buttons to come off if they have been sewn on securely. Buttons don’t come off unless they’re under significant, prolonged pressure or the threads are worn down. I’ve been wearing braces for over 15 years and only had a few buttons pop off in that time. As the buttons are anchoring at the right locations, when one pops off you notice the change in tension and drooping pants right away. Men have been wearing braces with buttons for over 150 years, and if they didn’t withstand the daily demands of life back then, they couldn’t today.”
The man continued. “I find buttons grip far better over the long term than clips can. Aside from your buttons being anchoring points, clips snap off all the time as they only clinch the fabric, not firmly attach to it. Clips also damage the fabric, so for formal dress fabrics, clips should never be used. Braces stay firmly anchored with buttons. I like the vintage look of braces. Having been worn for over 150 years, they are timeless and classy.”
“Yes they are. I recall old photographs of men wearing braces and wondering why men don’t wear them anymore. Why aren’t more men wearing braces?”
“The height of the waistline on men’s pants is the primary reason,” the man responded. “Waistlines have inched lower and lower over time. Historically, waistlines were at or above the belly-button. This elongated the legs and made the man look taller. There is also a slight budge at the waist, so higher waisted pants pass smoothly over this budge. But in order to keep pants at this higher waist, braces must be used to support them.”
“I think another reason is that people associate suspenders with the clip-on variety and that’s a major turn off,” says the man. “Clips snap off, don’t anchor the pleat and side of the pants at the same time, and because you can easily take suspenders from one pair of pants to another, they look cheap. Braces are practical, stylish, and classy. I think more men should try braces and discover the comfort and confidence that comes with wear braces.”
“I agree,” chimed the women.
The man turned to go, but the first lady wasn’t finished. “As a stylish man, why do you leave your jacket on? Why not show off your braces and the stylish pants. I’m sure people would appreciate your style, as much as we have!”
“Thank you for the compliments on my style. Historically braces were considered an undergarment and not to be displayed. They were considered underwear and only your immediate family saw them. This thinking has changed and it’s now acceptable to display braces. But as braces are a vintage accessory, some of this traditional thinking carries on.”
“I see; but there are lots of old photographs of men showing their braces, without a jacket. I actually like seeing braces and the different styles and designs – it adds to the outfit. I love your pant style at the back, what did you call it? Fish-tail back? You don’t need to hide this special tailoring. I think you would agree with me,” turning to the other lady, “that braces can be proudly displayed.”
“Absolutely”, nodded the women.
“Thanks for the encouragement. And thanks again for the complements on my pants and braces.”
“You’re welcome.” 
The next day, the women gathered at the man’s office, eager to see his outfit for the day. He had taken off his blazer and was wearing a classy dress shirt with a pair of grey pants held in place by braces. The braces were stripped grey and navy.
“Love the braces; they complement your grey pants well,” admired the lady. “Are they fish-tail back pants today?”
The man stood up and smiled, turning around to reveal the fish-tail back details.

12 comments:

  1. If I were that man, I would definitely be asking one or more of those women out on a date, there's some definite potential there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree.Because us braces wearers are in the minority,people will notice that we are wearing braces.I do get frequent stares and comments regarding my braces.It is always nice to be noticed by women and generally they don't mind the fact that fact that I am almost always in braces

      Delete
    2. I agree. Ladies generally comment that they appreciate my braces, and the vintage vibe. I've found that ladies are more appreciative and supportive of wearing braces than men are. Go act accordingly!

      Delete
    3. I pretty much agree. I got into them pretty early in life so it was more remarkable when I didn't wear then when I did. I generally get some form of "Are you ill?" from friends and family when I don't wear them. Truthfully though if you like suspenders and are going to wear them you do need to be OK with being the only one in the room with them its the reality of it. If you're uncomfortable with that then you probably should be select in when and where you decide to sport them. As for ladies, I don't think they really care in general. That said, I think if your the only one in the room with them on, and you look well put together you get some points from most women for being bold and confident enough in yourself to be a little different than the rest of the crowd.

      Anyway if you look down below in this post I've sort of collected my experiences over about 25 years wearing suspenders instead of a belt. Enjoy !!!

      Delete
    4. Totally agree. I can't count the number of times I've been the only person in the room wearing suspenders. I like that I can be unique by wearing braces, and people - particularly women - appreciate that, like you said.
      Thanks for sharing your 25 years of wearing suspenders instead of a belt!

      Delete
  2. About ten years ago Varvatos and other designers came out with casual syles of pants that button-attached suspenders on the outside of the waistband and no belt loops. I ended up buying several. But when I wore them I always had on a jacket coat or sweater-- was not confident about the look. Over the years I have collected many more suspenders, and have about 10 suits that either came without belt loops (custom) or I had the belt loops removed. Reiss trousers usually come with side tabs and no loops as well.
    While I am comfortable about wearing suspenders in front of friends when out, I have not been confident enough to wear them in a setting sans sweater, suit coat or jacket. Have any tips on how to own the look and feel confident about it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please refer to rule #7 :)

      Kens rules of wearing suspenders (cribbed from many sources).
      (1) Suspenders don’t look or smell like underwear so they can’t be underwear.
      (2) If your suspenders are giving you a wedgy then loosen the adjusters. If they are still too tight, give the suspenders to charity and buy the next pair from the men’s section of the store rather than the children’s. If they still give you a wedgy then you're a statistical oddity and you’ll just have to deal with it.
      (3) Wearing a belt with suspenders is fine. Pay no attention to the style-guru’s or people that assume you’re a pessimist. Be assured this style is perfect for those hands free occasions such as carrying your tricorder or light saber.
      (4) You can wear suspenders under your shirt, however this style makes restroom functions more time consuming. Depending on what you've eaten this can become real issue. Advance planning is a key element of this rule.
      (5) Clip-on suspenders are fine. The whole "clip-on's are cheezy thing" is a conspiracy by the button on suspender manufacturers to increase market share, don’t fall for it.
      (6) Clip-on suspenders with the nylon teeth don't ruin your pants. The clip-ons with just metal teeth can indeed damage delicate material but are probably fine for denim. Recommendation stick with the type with the nylon teeth. If on the off chance the suspenders with nylon teeth do harm your pants consider the possibility that they might be cheap pants.

      (7) The overwhelming majority of men prefer belts to suspenders. Not because they don’t like them, but because no one else they know wears them. Accordingly take this test; if, after you put your suspenders on, you didn’t think for a fraction of second that you’re pretty darn cool, you probably shouldn’t wear them. Suspenders are the road less traveled by, just embrace it and enjoy the ride.
      (8) The vast majority of woman/significant others don’t care if you're wearing suspenders. That said, there is a very small population of women that manifest a preference for potential mates wearing suspenders. These individuals are indistinguishable from the general population and can only be identified by their uncontrollable urge to pluck suspenders. If you find your suspenders plucked be aware that the very act of wearing suspenders can invite this plucking phenomena but more importantly you may be dealing with one of these rare individuals with a plucking fetish, react accordingly. This rule applies to same sex relationships as well.
      (9) Picking that perfect pair of suspenders in the morning is a little harder than a belt. Don’t over think it, treat it like picking a tie. Rule of thumb; if you're obsessing over whether the leather in your suspender tabs matches your shoes then you’re very likely overthinking it.
      (10) Wearing suspenders off your shoulders is fine. This style is perfect for turning over chairs, upending liquid refreshment containers and providing entertainment value for kittens and other small animals.
      (11) If you feel the urge to wear bright red suspenders, pink suspenders, or ones with naked women on them, be aware that any interaction you have with another member of the human race while wearing them will be dominated by those suspenders. Choose wisely.
      (11a) Looney Tune Tazmanian Devil and Marvin the Martian cartoon suspenders are exceptions to rule (11) but only on alternate Tuesdays.

      Delete
  3. I'm a brace wearer and proud of it. When I started wearing them to work I use to get the stares and people automatically labeled me as gay until they met my boyfriend. It took a while to have them accept me for my style. But since they have I get compliments I think that come about another female worker who is a blonde bombshell wore a pair of braces with a high waisted skirt. I think that was the turning point

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it usually just takes 1 person to start wearing braces and then it catches on. Glad to hear your other colleague started wearing braces, high waisted skirts with braces are fantastic.

      Delete
  4. I had never considered braces until my girlfriend gave me a pair as a Birthday present. I presumed that they were her "joke present" as we always exchange one as well as a main. I tried them on in secret, and loved the comfort and how efficient they were at keeping my jeans up. About a fortnight later, she asked why I had not worn them. I said I thought she wouldn't like me in them, but she said "Why? I noticed you were always hitching your pants up and thought you would appreciate them - I certainly do" Since then, I have become a confirmed braces fan, and have added a few more pairs for different outfits. Originally, my mates ribbed me but have accepted my style, and a few have become converts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing! That's awesome. Girlfriends frequently do initiate and encourage men to wear braces. I bet if more girlfriends encouraged friends and significant others to wear braces, we'd see braces all the time!

      Braces can be initially viewed as a joke, but then when people wear them at a wedding or formal event, they find out how comfortable they are. Glad to hear you are a confirmed braces fan!

      Delete
  5. I remember a couple of years back I took a vacation in Austria in Innsbruck ,and It was so pretty and so many people wearing Traditional clothes,mainly men and boys wore their short leederhosen's with the matching leather suspenders and with the cross bar in leather too across the breast! As for the girls and women they wore mainly the traditional Dirndl composed of the long apron wich goes with it!Austria was so modern but kept on living it's traditions aswell!On other occasions I saw other women and girls also wearing Lederhosen shorts too allways with the leather suspenders and cross bar across their breasts too, wich was so sexy appealing !What's more practicly they wore this for everyday life ,wich was so nice!So I could'nt do otherwise than myself buying one in a souvenir shop in Insbruck's city centre! and I made a good bargain too ,because it only cost me 35 euros, Complete with once I was walking my dog and the girls from the factory were coming out of their day's work and some laughed seeing me ,but some stopped me and asked me That I really looked great in It and asking me from it came from ?!SO I explained it to some of the girls and women ,and especially one girl who was very tall ,and Isisted of walking with me back homme ,and that's how we first met ,latter on of course we met regulary and then we went out an finaly got married some months latter!Then as we were both working togetther and this timme in the same factory ,and by the way as all of the girls and women were wearing all da long nylon buttoned overalls with big black plastic buttons ,aswell as a beret down to their eyes nearly,that too I liked very much too It was quite a sexy way to go working!Thefirst summer holiday we spent together I proposed that we go for a holiday back to Innsbruck ,and she liked very much and the way they dressed traditinnaly,and suddenly we came across anooother shop selling lederhosen's but this shop ha special womens short lederhosen's with allways with the suspenders etc..,but they were either in red leather or pink leather Sraight away she tried one on at her size and wow she really did look good in them ,and of course bought it .So now both of us our wearing our lederhosen's an at her factory nobody opens their mouths to critisize anymore!Since then we go back nearly every year to Austria and nearly evertime peple now ask us to bring them one back ( especially thr girls!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Everything About Braces. To maintain a civilized discussion forum, moderators may decide to remove messages at their sole discretion if considered to be offensive.
Join our social media community on Pinterest at http://pinterest.com/backtobraces/ and Instagram at https://instagram.com/backtobraces/