Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Reflections on Wearing Braces: National Suspenders Day 2020

Today is National Suspenders Day. I’d like to share some current reflections on braces. I’ve been intentionally wearing braces for over 20 years now, starting in my early 20s. I’ve written before about how I got started, and why I wear them. Essentially, I wear braces for their both their comfort and functionality – they allow my pants to be loose-fitting and as such, are held in place with braces.

I wear braces almost every day, even while working from home. I’ve found it helps my mind get into work mode when I dress as I would for the office. I’m sitting at a desk for most of the day, and the loose waistline allows me to breathe in and out without having a restricted belt around my midsection. It is so comfortable. And when I stand up, my waistline stays at its proper place.

As I reflect on this, braces are the perfect complement to the clothes I wear for work. They allow me to display my personality through different colors and styles, add a vintage aspect, and are a distinctive yet understated accessory. I've branched out from only black and navy suits and pants to browns and greys as well. This also allows me to coordinate different colors of braces. When people notice my braces they comment that the look is so dapper and classic. I take it as a genuine compliment on my style. I enjoy these conversations!

I've discovered that people appreciate in particular when I wear the color brown. Most men these days only wear navy or black suits, not brown. As a result, when I wear brown, I stand out. Brown is not worn that much anymore, so when people see me wearing brown, they appreciate it. I recently bought a pair of brown braces that matches my brown pants. The braces are Y-back inverse-V braces very similar to the gentlemen below:

Ad for Pioneer braces - transport me into these beautiful high-rise pants and braces!

I was looking recently at vintage photographs, in particular men wearing braces in the photographs. I noticed that their front brace tabs were quite spread out. I did some more perusing of old photographs and noticed that the placement was usually quite wide: one button directly above the main pleat (which is what I’ve always advocated), and the other button directly above the side seam of the pants. Here's some examples:

Exterior outer buttons are at the side seam
 

Exterior outer buttons are at the side seam

The man wearing the hat has his outer button above the side seam

When I inspected my button placement I noticed that the distance between the main pleat and side seam was another inch or so past my usual spacing of 3.5 inches. I was curious and wanted to try out this more vintage button placement. I sewed buttons directly above the side pant seam and attached my braces. 

On the particular pair of braces I chose, the brace tabs fanned out very nicely (see photo below). The waistline did not bulge but rather floated gently with the support of the spread-out brace tabs. I felt the outer brace tabs tug gently throughout the day, which kept my side seam straight. This was more noticeable when I sat down and felt a slight tug at the side seams.

The side seam on the left and
main pleat on the right

I have an ordinary build - my waistline is not overly large, so spanning the main seam and side seam with the brace tabs works well. But I realize brace tabs come in different sizes and have different spacing, so it may not work on narrower tabs.

I decided to wear this pair of pants to a family dinner recently. I matched the high-rise pants with the stripped Y-back braces, a blue dress shirt, and a knitted burgundy cardigan for warmth. Travelling there I was comfortable, but once I got inside the home it started to warm up; especially in the kitchen with the oven heat. I took off my cardigan and displayed my stripped braces and high-rise pants. People noticed, but things carried on, as everyone knows that I wear my pants with braces.

View from the front

I had to get up from the table a few times, and every time I stood up my braces were there to hold my pants in place. As I rose and bent forward I noticed that the outer brace buttons tugged my side seam more than the the previous button position. It was reassuring to me as it reminded me that my brace tabs were keeping the side seam straight and taut.

View of the rear

I enjoyed the dinner and the rest of the evening without thinking about my pants. It wasn’t until it was time to leave that I put the cardigan back on. Reflecting back, this must have been how men wore suit jackets and cardigans in the 1920s to 40’s. They would take off their outer layer when they got inside, and then put it back on when it was time to go out. Men had their braces shown and it was commonplace to see braces around the home or office. In fact, it added to the man's whole outfit with stylish colors and designs.

As I take a look at what people are wearing these days, I notice that vintage styles are returning. I’m glad to be contributing my part by wearing braces! I plan on wearing braces for the rest of my life.

8 comments:

  1. National suspenders day should be more publicised.I have been a braces wearer for about 10 years.Other than when I am at work I am almost always in braces whether it be with trousers or shorts.It would great to see braces return to the popularity that they had decades ago.And they are not just for men.Women look awesome in braces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree. National suspenders day should be announced! Wearing braces around does help raise the awareness among people so keep wearing them!

      Delete
    2. I'm similar to you guys, I've been wearing suspenders for a long time. I actually have come around to liking the idea of them being somewhat rare but not weird. I think its pretty cool to be the only one wearing them.

      Delete
    3. yes, it's sometimes nice to be the only one wearing braces and get the attention of the ladies!

      Delete
  2. I do my part for braces awareness daily. I wear braces everyday to work and then also on weekends. Monday to Friday I'm always dressed in a suit and as soon as I get to work the jacket comes off and my braces are out for everybody to see them. And that goes for some of the other women also. Then on weekends it's a daggy set of pants or jeans with my bolder style braces on or my lumberjack ones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks great Rachael. Braces are great for office wear as well as around the home.

      Delete
    2. I have always been one for braces awareness.As a child I was never seen without them as my parents had me dressed in shorts and button on braces at all times.I hated it in winter but I had no choice in the matter as I did not own a pair of long trousers until I was about 15.I ditched the braces then as they were not really cool.Once I hit my 30s I went back to wearing braces and have stayed with them ever since.I am known for my braces and that is something I am quite happy to maintain.

      Delete
  3. wow that's great I read it fully it's really nice for further information please click on it Furnace cleaning in Edmonton

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Everything About Braces. To maintain a civilized discussion forum, moderators may decide to remove messages at their sole discretion if considered to be offensive.
Join our social media community on Pinterest at http://pinterest.com/backtobraces/ and Instagram at https://instagram.com/backtobraces/