Friday, October 2, 2020

Being Recognized from my Personal Style

I was walking down the sidewalk recently, waiting for time to pass as my take-out order was in process. I had just left work and was still wearing a pair of high-waisted, teal pants with inverse-V maroon braces and a short-sleeve dress shirt. Someone called out, “Hey there!” I looked up with curiosity.

“We saw you from up the block and agreed that you dressed like someone we know. As you got closer we realized it was, in fact, you! Your style is so distinct with your high-waisted pants and suspenders,” said my friend. I thanked them and we carried on the conversation.

My personal style

My friend's comment got me thinking about my personal style. I’ve been developing my style to include more higher-waist pants - always with braces.The waistline should be roomy enough that when I sit down, my stomach is not constricted. This means the waistline would slip down, if it not for the braces. When I'm standing, the larger waistline allows air circulation and keep me cool in the summer months.

For those of us that wear braces, people connect braces with our personal style, which I think is great. Braces are an excellent way to show your personal style as there's so many colors, designs, and styles.

My style has developed into what could be called Vintage Professor Style. Think of classic Ivy League style back in the 1930s such as:

  • a suit jacket with a different colored pair of pants – either a light-colored jacket with dark pants or grey pants with a dark jacket
  • If a jacket is not worn, then knitted vest and cardigans are commonly worn in the colder months
  • the colors are usually browns, greens, and greys
  • tweed is prevalent but also corduroy
  • designs are houndstooth and stripes - being simple and classic
  • the fit is slightly over sized and roomy, suit jackets are boxy and broad
  • pants sit at the natural waist (high-rise) and supported by braces
  • ties or bow-ties are sometimes worn
  • a leather folio or gusseted briefcase accompanies the look
  • suede shoes, heavy brogues, or dressy boots are common

Above all else, though, the look needs to appear as if it was thrown together at the last minute, without much thought. It’s a classic style that people adore, as many movies have characters worn in this style: think Harrison Ford in Indiana Jones, Cary Grant, or Jimmy Stewart to name a few.

I think this style is classic and professional, yet able to transition from work to casual by removing the suit jacket and wearing a cardigan. Or simply wearing the dress shirt with pants and braces.

 

I like the cover of The Country Gentleman from August 18, 1923. It shows a young lady attempting to convince the older gentleman to try a belt instead of braces. He refuses the belt and reattaches his right brace tab. I agree with him, a belt would not be comfortable or suitable for his high-rise pants. In fact, it appears his waistline doesn't even have belt loops to accommodate a belt. Like the gentleman, I'll stick with my trusty braces.


Some people say that my style is "old man" or "old school", as I wear high-waist pants with braces, a dress shirt, and a cardigan - like what the old man above would have worn! I'll accept this description, as it references back to a time when men had high style standards. And this style is so comfortable. I'll bet if any of the critics tried the style for a few days they'd fall in love with it as well.

People do appreciate your personal style. If that includes braces, that's great!

How would you describe your personal style?

10 comments:

  1. Great for you to be recognized simply by what you wear.Like you people associate me with with braces as I am rarely seen without them.At this time of year high waisted shorts,button on braces and long socks are an essential part of my wardrobe.I am trying to convert friends into becoming braces wearers as I would like to see them become more universally worn.If we can raise peoples awareness of braces hopefully they will become more popular.I will certainly be a braces wearer for the rest of my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the more people that wear braces the more commonplace they will become. I bet you look great in high waisted shorts, button braces and long socks!

      Delete
  2. Im a proud braces wearer. I am know at my work for the different braces i wear. Everyday i wear braces and never the same pair days in a row. I have a great collection of braces that would make any bracer wearer envious. My style is very feminine but I love to borrow from the man style to balance out my outfits. My trousers are always wide leg with high waists so braces suit them perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachael great to hear from a proud female braces wearer.And the fact you turn up to work every day in braces is very impressive.Women look great in braces,and hopefully you are raising braces awareness so more women convert to braces.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the compliment. I do enjoy wearing braces to work. I find they make a boring suit or pants more professional. I'm daily seeing more women wearing braces which is good to see

      Delete
  3. Couple of things about routine suspender wearing, they are going to get snapped occasionally and they pretty much from a fashion point of view are your personal style. Next to your fly being down, the first thing anyone will notice is your suspenders.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My wife has recently become a braces wearer. She said to me she would like a pair of braces to go with a outfit she liked wearing. So she went out shopping for a pair and then come home with four pairs. She wears them all the time to work with dress pants and then at home with a pair of jeans. I was very surprised to how good they look

    ReplyDelete
  5. My wife one day asked me if i could start wearing braces as she loves the look so i agreed to start wearing them to work. So she went out and bought me several pairs. So I started wearing them for her and now I'm known at work for my braces. She continues to buy me braces when ever she sees a pair she likes. Because she borrows them sometimes

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brett, One note of experience, one of caution and a recommendation. The note of experience is that suspender wearing begets more suspender wearing. If you wear braces a few times say a couple of times a month that sort of thing, people notice, people like your wife, your kids, you parents etc. Braces aren't terribly expensive and the patterns, colors and variety make them fun to shop for. They make great Christmas and Birthday presents to so your collection of braces is most likely going to multiply rapidly and you'll also get quizzed on why you haven't worn a particular pair lately. If you see this kind of thing happening just remember I warned you and your best bet is to clear out a drawer for your suspenders.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a child I was always known for wearing braces with short trousers knee high socks and a suit jacket.It frequently got compliments from adults as to how smart I looked.I always stood out as most boys tended to wear jeans or long trousers.However my parents believed that shorts were more appropriate for a young boy so this is how I was always dressed.I never minded the attention and even in the colder months I was quite comfortable wearing shorts and braces.Long socks kept my legs warm up to a point and at any rate I would not have had the choice to wear anything else.Braces have always been part of my style and I cant ever imagine changing that.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Everything About Braces. To maintain a civilized discussion forum, moderators may decide to remove messages at their sole discretion if considered to be offensive.
Join our social media community on Pinterest at http://pinterest.com/backtobraces/ and Instagram at https://instagram.com/backtobraces/