Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Brace Colors and Patterns

Braces come in all different colors and patterns. There are solids, strips, pastels, slogans, and even hand-sewn patterns. The countless colors and patterns are by far the main reason braces offer a fresh and interesting twist to any wardrobe.
Maroon braces pair well with the bright blue shorts

When wearing a business suit, braces share the same vertical plane as the tie. As such, braces should be coordinated (but not necessarily match) the tie. Solid braces are easier to coordinate than striped or pastels. If you choose a blue or red colored tie, then pair it with blue or red braces. The shades don’t need to match exactly, in fact, they may complement the look more when they are slightly different.
These navy pants coordinate with the navy in the braces and his neck tie
 
Novice brace wearers generally try to avoid their braces from being noticed. As such, they were solid black or white braces. These are a good starting point, as people learn you like to wear braces.
 
As time progresses, why not try different colors? And they are a great conversation starter! 
A patterned or floral dress shirt generally goes well with solid color. Likewise, a solid color shirt goes well with stripped or floral braces. A solid white shirt offers the most opportunity to have pastels or a pattern. I'm not saying you can't wear a patterned shirt and stripped braces, but you need to be careful with coordinating pattern styles and colors. Best to try it out and see what you like!
 
Eventually you'll want to break out and try some more daring colors, like red! They add a great pop of color to any outfit.

If you are very ambitious, go for rainbow color suspenders such as these:


Stacy London, fashion expert and co-host of TLC's “What Not to Wear" suited up her father for a Valentines Day date. She chose red, showgirl braces to complement his look and have a dash of color.


Here’s some examples of color with braces:
Black is a staple color for any outfit

Love the brown braces and brown pants

Stripped braces go well on a solid shirt

Red suspenders on a blue shirt are chic

Diagonally stripped braces again on a solid shirt.
The braces are the centerpiece of this outfit

Patterned braces go well with a solid shirt

Suspenders can turn a good outfit into a great outfit. For example...

From personal experience, I started wearing solid black or blue braces. After a few years I became more adventurous and now wear braces with reds, browns, green - anything to add some color. I've received many complements on the braces from observers and friends. I'm wearing a pair of red and white stripped braces today!

Discussion time:
  • What’s your favorite brace color/pattern?
Note: all photos are used solely for non-commercial use and to illustrate braces in fashion. No plagiarism is intended.

7 comments:

  1. I like any colour but have a liking for striped braces!! I have just ordered some pretty 1940s button on ones in maroon and khaki stripes. I can't wait to try them on !!! I also like polka dots but have one pair in red and white. I would love some navy/white polka dot ones!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The blonde beauty with the red braces is that Michelle Hunziker? Where did you find the picture?

    Bianca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't think so. I came across that photo and can't remember where I found it

      Delete
  3. I have many pairs of braces. Alot of black and white ones but I do have a few that are very bold colours and one printed in flowers. But I enjoy wearing the coloured ones. So if I'm trying to make a statement i will wear brigjt red ones over a white shirt so they stand out. I also have a yellow pair and a pink pair which usually get paired with black shirts. You need some colour in you braces otherwise i would be to boring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Rachael, the more options the better for putting together an outfit!

      Delete
  4. I love wearing braces and I want people to notice them on me. I usually keep it tame when I'm at work and keep to the black, white and red colours but when I'm out and about I wear all different colours and patterns cause I want to be noticed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lisa I love the way you think. I am new to wearing suspenders and have come to realize that I also love wearing bold colours so the suspenders stand out. I found wearing plain black one's a little boring so my next pair were gold chanel suspenders which I always wore with light coloured tops to make them stand out that little bit moran. I recently started making my own suspenders and made myself a pair of hot pink one's. My husband dent like them as he thinks their to bright but they have become my favorite one's and I wear them all the time

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on Everything About Braces. To maintain a civilized discussion forum, moderators may decide to remove messages at their sole discretion if considered to be offensive.
Join our social media community on Pinterest at http://pinterest.com/backtobraces/ and Instagram at https://instagram.com/backtobraces/