Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Black High-Waisted Jeans with Braces

I recently went shopping for a new pair of jeans. One particular store had a wide selection of jeans in different colors and styles. I came across a pair of black jeans with the waist at or above my natural waist. I tried them on and they fit well, so I decided to buy them.

At the till, the store owner asked if I found what I was looking for.

Yes, I said, I've been looking for jeans with a high waist. 

She smiled and said it is a classic look.

Exactly, I said. 

She continued by suggesting I could "go vintage" by wearing suspenders with them.

Yes, I said, that’s exactly what I will do! These jeans will need suspenders to hold them up at the high waist.

That would look great, she said. She added that she would love to see me wear them the next time I'm around.

I agreed and walked out of the store with a smile on my face. It's nice to meet other people that also appreciate suspenders!

I was thinking of my pair of braces that are brown with black and white stripes (see this post). The black stripes would go well with the black jeans. The braces are very rugged and fit the lumberjack style. Some of my other braces could also go well.

As I travelled home I had to decide where to place the buttons – on the outside or inside of the waistband. After much thought over the next few days I concluded that as these are rugged jeans, I would put the buttons on the outside of the waistband. They would accentuate the brace tabs and point back to when men wore braces while working on the railroad. I removed the belt loops and sewed on the brace buttons. Here's the style that I wore that day:

Stripped inverse-V tab braces


Rear shot of stripped Y-back braces

I remembered the James Jeans with braces from CourtShop that were popular a few years ago. These jeans are also high-waisted and have buttons on the outside for Y-back braces. The fish-tail back is a nice touch.

Courtshop James Jeans with braces

A few days after I had sewn on the buttons, a couple came over for dinner. I was wearing the black jeans, blue stripped braces, and a green t-shirt. The husband immediately commented, "cool suspenders!"

"Thanks!" I replied, smiling.

His wife saw me a few minutes later and said, "I like your suspenders. We should get you a pair of suspenders babe," looking at her husband. He had a slim build and his pants sagged, so it was a good suggestion.

I smiled, "they are very comfortable and look great," I said.

"Where did you get your jeans?" she asked.

I mentioned the store and she continued, "and you got the suspenders there too?" she asked.

"No," I replied, "I got them from a thrift store." I continued, "these jeans didn't originally have suspender buttons - I sewed them on myself."

"Oh, I see," she replied. "I really like them! I love your lumberjack, worker look."

"Thanks, that's the look I was going for," I said beaming.

"Well, you nailed it with the button suspenders," she said.

"Yes, they do make the look," I replied.

We carried on with our dinner and had a pleasant evening.

***

A week later we were visiting other friends and as we came in I took off my cardigan. I was wearing my black jeans with stripped braces, and they were displayed proudly.

The lady of the house commented, "I love your suspenders. Look," she motioned to her husband, "he has the proper attachments with buttons. You look fantastic!"

"Thank you," I replied.

***

A few months later I was back in the clothing store, searching for something, and I was wearing my black pants with stripped braces. The lady came up to compliment me on my braces. She said she liked how my suspenders fit with my jeans. I told her I bought them here a few months ago, and on her recommendation, to have buttons installed for braces. She remembered and smiled. She said she liked the look. 

 

Every time I wear these jeans I receive compliments. It's great!

 

Discussion time:

Have you been wearing braces recently?

4 comments:

  1. Yes, I wear button braces with high waisted trousers practically every day and have done so throughout most of my life. I much prefer braces to belts and I’m not a fan of low waisted trousers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Button on braces and high waisted trousers have been a part of my wardrobe for as long as I can remember.And before I graduated into long trousers,for the first 15 years of my life it was high waisted suit shorts.Again always worn with button on braces.My parents always had me and my 4 sisters dressed formally and they believed that young boys should wear shorts,not long trousers.So whatever time of year it was or how cold it was,I was always dressed in shorts.I hated it in winter,but that was how it was.And although they were less popular generally,I was always made to wear button on braces with them which had them higher up the waist.The outfit was formalised with long grey socks and black lace up shoes.I only ever wore a belt at school and found it very uncomfortable as I was so used to wearing braces.And I agree with you in that I do not like low waisted trousers.

      Delete
  2. So Ive been forced to go over to the dark side. For years I just wore button braces with a suit and tie. I used clip on suspenders for everyday stuff. I love my wife dearly .... most of the time. I recently bought a new EV truck for an absurd amount of money, and the first thing my wife said when I brought it home was you can't wear those suspenders in your truck, you'll destroy the seat. My wife is right, they do scratch up the drivers seat around the lumbar support and if you look at my vehicles they all have the color on the leather at my lower back pretty much gone. On the other hand Ive done 20 years of 3 hr/day commuting so Im not altogether sure the suspenders were the entire. Being the good husband that I am two weeks and $180 later, I have 4 pair of jeans with button on braces attached to them. Ive now joined the snooty legion of button brace wearers. They do hold up my pants just as well, the sky didn't fall and I get to stay married to my wife so I guess I can live with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! Glad to hear the button braces are working well with your jeans. Similar to you, my wife suggested I wear button-on braces with my jeans a number of years ago. I used to just wear clipon suspenders, but she suggested that if braces are right for dress pants, they are also right for jeans and other pants. I agreed and converted my jeans.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on Everything About Braces. To maintain a civilized discussion forum, moderators may decide to remove messages at their sole discretion if considered to be offensive.
Join our social media community on Pinterest at http://pinterest.com/backtobraces/ and Instagram at https://instagram.com/backtobraces/